Dates/times: Saturdays - Sept' 14th till Nov' 30th (12 consecutive Saturdays) at 1pm till 4pm
Autumn 2019 Stand-Up Comedy Course Outline
The course runs on 12 consecutive Saturdays. The aim is to teach you how to create, write and perform your own short stand-up comedy set i.e. an opening, a closing, a bit of material in the middle:
- Practical creative exercises to inspire, generate ideas and access your "inner comic;"
- Unique comedy writing techniques, formats, including straightforward joke writing;
- Performance skills including timing, conquering nerves, remembering material, mic technique;
- How to deal with hecklers effectively, coping with and learning from "dying" on stage;
- Performing in class with positive constructive feedback to develop your material/performance;
- How/where/when to start gigging: advice, tips, guest professional comic Q + A.
This course also includes key points handouts.
You will be encouraged to "see" what you are learning in comedy classes at comedy clubs.
The course concludes with an informal in-class show. You'll perform your short stand-up set with microphone, lights, on stage at the Komedia (it's not open to the public). We will film this set as a memento of your course.
A chance to perform in a "New Act Night" show - live at Komedia!
There's an opportunity to perform your set to our friendly Komedia comedy panel in class on week 11 of this course. They will invite the course participants who are the most ready, to perform in a public "New Act Night" show at Brighton's Komedia on Tues 3rd Dec' 2019. Performing in this show is not part of course or guaranteed as places are limited.
The skills you'll acquire on Jill's stand-up comedy course also apply to other areas of your life, writing, performing, presentations and public speaking.
If you know you would have to miss weeks 1, 2, 3 or 11 of this stand-up comedy course it would be better for you to book onto the following one.
Jill runs a follow-on weekly advanced workshop in Brighton exclusive to participants who complete this course. She also teaches individual comedy lessons for graduates and experienced comedians.
Please book early; as the highly acclaimed original, Jill Edwards Brighton comedy course is very popular and sells out well in advance.
Jill Edwards Comedy Workshops Refund Policy:
Please note £50.00 of your course fee is a non-refundable deposit to cover admin costs.
- 30 days before course start date - course fee refund (minus non-refundable £50);
- Within 30 - 15 days of course start date - 50% course fee refund (minus non-refundable £50);
- Within 14 days of course start date - no refund.
Places on this course are non-transferable and cannot be transferred to another course.
If you book a place on this stand-up comedy course you are agreeing to this refund policy.
You need to bring current proof of concession status with you to the first class.
You are welcome to buy a concession place if you are unemployed (job seekers allowance) or a full-time student.
You need to be eighteen years old or over to join this stand-up comedy course.
Blue Badge Parking:
If you are a blue badge holder e-mail Jill if you need information on parking bays. The Komedia venue is fully wheelchair accessible but please e-mail Jill to discuss any accessibility issues or concerns.